Welcome to Mann’s monthly newsletter. We hope you enjoy the monthly recipes, promotions and health tips we provide. Live healthy and eat well and make Mann’s fresh vegetables part of your daily diet.
Skin Cancer Awareness
With all of the sunshine that spring and summer bring, skin awareness is more important than ever. The first Monday in May is Melanoma Monday. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness of melanoma and encourage early detection and prevent this disease from being fatal. The American Academy of Dermatology has some very helpful tools:
- Learn how to prevent skin cancer.
- Download body mole map.
- Learn how to perform a skin self exam.
- Find free skin cancer screening
- Take the Suntelligence survey.
- Find a dermatologist in your area.
- Apply SPF 30 sunscreen to all exposed areas of skin for adults and children.
- Your chances of sunburn increase when you are near water, snow or sand, as they reflect and intensify the sun’s rays.
- Avoid tanning beds, they cause more damage than the sun.
- See a dermatologist at least once a year to screen for sun damage.
Cinco de Mayo Recipes
Cinco de Mayo is a week away. We have some delicious recipes for you to try out.
- Grab and Go Acapulco Broccoli Wrap
- Fiesta Enchiladas
- Chilled Broccolini® and Chile Lime Dip
- Citrus Shrimp Salad with Sugar Snap Peas and Romaine
- Hungry Girl Chicken Fajita Wrap
Any way you celebrate, Mann’s Fresh-Cut Vegetables make any meal a party. Enjoy!
Retail News and Promotions
- Mann’s Brussels Sprouts distribution has been picked up by Shop Rite; H.B. Brooks and Byerly’s. This is in addition to ACME; Safeway; Lund’s; Brookshire’s; Meijer; Weis; Schnucks; Marsh; Wakefern; Super Valu; Spartan; Savemart and Loblaw in Western Canada. If you don’t have them, be sure to ask your produce manager for Mann’s Brussels Sprouts!
- Roundy stores in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Chicago will be carrying Mann’s Green Beans. Look for Mann’s Green Beans at these Roundy’s affiliates: Pick ‘n Save; Rainbow Foods; Copps Food Center; Metro Market; Ultra Food Market and Mariano’s Fresh Market.
- Northgate Markets operates 36 locations in Southern California. They have expanded the Mann line to include:
Broccoli; Broccoli Cole Slaw; Vegetable Medley; Green Beans; Sugar Snap Peas; Snow Peas; Broccoli Cauliflower; California Stir Fry; Beef and Cheese Tray and our Vegetable Party Platter.
Mann’s Brussels Sprouts have a $0.55 instantly redeemable coupon on-pack thru the months of April and May.
Mann’s Sugar Snap Peas are part of a spring promotion. You can save $1 instantly with the on-pack coupon, when you buy two bags.
Spring Garden Tips
It’s time to get your garden growing. Most of the snow has melted and the April showers have come and gone.
- Weed flower beds and remove the winter leaves that have fallen. Removing this debris will give your seedlings a healthy start and help eliminate hiding places for insects and pests.
- Use a pitch fork to loosen and turn the soil and work in fertilizer and fresh compost. The earth’s dirt needs refreshing each season for healthy plants.
- Check drip systems, remove caps and flush the lines. Repair or replace any tubing that has a leak. Plant a few succulents or drought tolerant shrubs to cut down on water use.
- Pick plants to grow that are native to your region. There are several sites that list specific plants for your growing zone. The National Garden Association is a good starting place.
- If you want to plant a salad garden, sow greens like leaf lettuce varieties and arugula every 2 weeks until the temperatures reach 75°. Line the area with onion sets and garlic, to help repel insects. Planting marigolds along the border also helps and adds color.
- It’s the perfect time to plant dahlias for summer color. Try the dinner plate variety for spectacular 10 inch blooms.
Soak sweet pea seeds in water overnight. This helps boost the germination process.
Happy gardening! Send us some pictures of your successful plants and we will add them to our newsletter. Earth day is celebrated this month along with Arbor Day. By planting a garden you can celebrate for months, not just one day.
April Highlights and Fun Facts
- April 3, 1860 Pony Express started delivering mail.
- April 6, 1930 the first Twinkie was sold.
- April 20th celebrates volunteers nationwide.
- April 22nd celebrates Earth Day
- April 30th is National Honesty Day, so tell the truth!
- April is National Humor Month, time to relieve some stress.
- April 30, 1975 is the day the Vietnam War ended.
- Almost all of the cauliflower grown in the United States comes from the Salinas Valley in California because of its ten-month growing season, moderate climate and rich soil.
- Generally, the darker green the more vitamins and minerals. So it is no surprise that romaine is one of the most nutritious of all lettuces.
- Anti-inflammatory compounds abound in sweet potatoes, making this veggie important for those with arthritis, gout, irritable bowel syndrome, and other conditions related to inflammation.
The Men and Women Behind Mann!
Each quarter the staff at Mann votes for the men and women that went above and beyond to exemplify the core values we strive for everyday. We are proud to announce the winners for the ending quarter of 2011.
Quality…people, products and service: Merary Rodriguez
Honor…where we come from matters: Abel Godinez Meza
Passion…for excellence in everything we do: Sara Trevino and Karen Wright
Vision…innovating for the future: Albert Alvarado
CEO Special Recognition Award…for persistence and enduring efforts: David Morgan
Consumer Questions and Answers
Question: Mary, Long Beach, CA. I just purchased Mann’s Sugar Snap Peas for the first time. Do I eat the pods also?
Answer: Yes, sugar snap peas are meant to be eaten pod and all. They are a sweet crunchy snack that most people like to eat raw, or toss in a salad or stir fry. They are good with a favorite dip also.
Mann’s mission is to bring you fresh-cut convenient vegetables that taste good and are healthy for everyone. We are constantly looking at innovative ideas to bring to the marketplace and we appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thank you for buying our products.
Mann Packing Co.
Fresh Vegetables Made Easy!