Welcome to Mann Packing Company’s monthly newsletter. We will keep working hard, to bring you the freshest, healthiest, most convenient vegetables available. Summer is just around the corner, so enjoy!
National Fruit and Vegetable Month
Fruits and vegetables are plentiful this month. The weather is warming up, home gardens are in full swing, farmers markets are overflowing in abundance with fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as the local supermarkets. All the fresh fruit and vegetables one could hope for and many at discounted prices. What a simple choice to reach for these great items and skip the chips….but are you? We hope so.
We need generous amounts of daily fruits and vegetables not only for weight control, but to reduce the risks of chronic illness, including strokes, cardiovascular disease and certain cancers. Vitamins and supplements help, but actually eating the fruits and vegetables fill you up and help weight control and are a natural source of energy for your body
To learn how to measure a serving and what counts as a cup CDC has provided a guide.
Fresh fruits and vegetables can be expensive. The Produce for Better Health Foundation has several ideas that can help cut the costs for these items, plus some meal makeover ideas.
The My Plate logo suggests half your plate should consist of fruits and vegetables for better health. The My Plate SuperTracker can help you plan, analyze, and track your diet and physical activity. You can look up individual foods to see or compare their nutritional value, find recommendations for what and how much you should eat, compare your food choices to these recommendations and to your nutrient needs, and assess personal physical activities and identify ways to improve. Find recommendations for what and how much you should eat. It’s a positive start to better health.
Equal Time for Fathers Day
Last month we celebrated all the moms we know and now it’s time for dad. A summer afternoon barbeque can show dad how much you appreciate him. He can be king for a day while you serve up his favorite steak, fish, chicken, or burgers.
If it is your first Fathers Day, mom will be able to make dads meal a hit. We have a few sides that go great both on and off the grill:
- Lemon Dill Roasted Vegetables
- Grilled Mediterranean Broccoli
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Baby Arugula Salad
If you can’t be with your dad, then try to remember some of his famous sayings while you were growing up:
- “This is not a democracy; I didn’t run for this office, this is a dictatorship”.
- “All you have to do is what you tell people you will do”.
To dads, grandpas, brothers, sons, husbands and friends everywhere, Happy Fathers Day!
BlogHer Event, Seattle June 8-9 2012
Mann attended the BlogHer Event in Seattle June 8-9. We had a display of our fresh-cut vegetables and were getting the word out to 500 bloggers how fantastic, healthy and convenient our fresh vegetables are. The bloggers were amazing and such a fun group. They were very receptive to Mann’s Sugar Snap Peas and new Crinkle-Cut Sweet Potatoes.
Ree Drummond, of Pioneer Women fame attended the closing reception. Ree lives on a working ranch, outside of Pawhuska, OK with her husband and four children. She began blogging in 2006 and became so popular, she now has her own food show, filmed at the ranch. She is a bloggers inspiration!
Mann’s annual “Summer Slaw Spectacular” on-pack promotion, June 11 to July 17. Save $1 off any (2) bags of Mann’s Slaw products. Our Broccoli Cole Slaw and Rainbow Salad are the perfect addition to your summer menus.
Rachael Ray just discovered Mann’s Rainbow Salad and gave it a shout out in the July issue of EveryDay with Rachael Ray!
June Retail News
- Mann’s fresh-cut sweet potatoes have a new look. After conducting consumer research Mann has changed the old spear shape into a crinkle-cut shape. They look more like a fry and the new package has some updated usage ideas. Mann’s Sweet Potatoes are preservative free, washed and ready to eat.
- HEB Markets are now carrying Mann’s Sugar Snap Peas 15 ounce package and Mann’s Broccoli Wokly 32 ounce package.
- Piggly Wiggly in Birmingham, AL is carrying Mann’s Brussels Sprouts 12 ounce package.
- Brookshire Bros. TX is carrying Mann’s Crinkle-Cut Sweet Potato Fries.
- Walmart, Canada is carrying Mann’s Brussels Sprouts 11 ounce and Mann’s Sugar Snap Peas, 15 ounce package
- Safeway US and Safeway Canada are now both carrying Mann’s 12 ounce Brussels Sprouts.
June Highlights and Fun Facts
- June 10, 1813, Ben Franklin flew his kite in a storm.
- June 12, 1880, John Lee Richmond pitches baseballs very first “perfect” game.
- June 17, 2012 is Fathers Day.
- June 18, 1873, advocate Susan B. Anthony was arrested for voting on Rochester, NY.
- June 20, 2012 is the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year.
- June 23, 1860, the Secret Service was formed.
- Sugar snap peas have no cholesterol, almost no fat and are low in sodium.
- Sweet Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins A, B6, C, fiber, thiamine, pantothenic acid, niacin, riboflavin, manganese, magnesium, potassium, and copper, and a good source of protein, calcium, iron, and vitamin E. Sweet potatoes may offer special benefits to people with diabetes because of their low glycemic load.
- George Washington Carver developed 118 products from sweet potatoes, including mucilage for postage stamps, dehydrated food, and a liquid sweetener.
The Men and Women Behind Mann!
Mann would like to congratulate Maria Guadalupe Jauregui and Alvaro Castro Rodriguez on their recent graduation from Salinas Adult school, completing their GED.
Maria and Alvaro met in Guadalajara and were married in 2009. They both work at Mann Packing Co, often working 10 hour days on the production line. In addition to celebrating their diplomas, they will be celebrating their daughter, Midori’s, first birthday in August.
Mann wants to recognize Maria and Alvaro for all of their hard work not only at Mann, but on a personal level with what they have been able to accomplish in the past two years.
Congratulations and thank you for being part of the Mann family!
Consumer Questions and Answers
Question: I couldn’t find anything on the website that says the sweet potatoes can be eaten raw, or do they have to be cooked?
Answer: Yes, the sweet potatoes can be eaten raw. You have that option, as well as steaming, roasting or grilling.
Enjoy your summer plans. Warm weather is finally here, just in time for picnics and the Fourth of July. Travel safe on your summer adventures.
Mann Packing Co.
Fresh Vegetables Made Easy!