For the tempura
- 2 pounds CAULILINI® baby cauliflower, cut into uniform pieces
- 4 cups cooking oil of choice + 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold carbonated water
For the tacos
- 24 street taco-sized corn tortillas
- ½ head green cabbage
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, de-stemmed and leaves chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Tempura CAULILINI® baby cauliflower
- 4 avocados, pitted and sliced
- Veganaise or Vegan Sour Cream and Favorite Hot Sauce, mixed, to taste
- 4 limes, sliced
For the tempura:
Combine the oils and heat in a large cooking pot to 350°F.
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk in cold carbonated water to make a batter. It should be the same consistency as a thin pancake batter.
Dredge the CAULILINI® baby cauliflower in the tempura batter then carefully place into hot oil for a few minutes. Use tongs to turn it until it becomes golden and crisp. Continue using tongs to transfer to a paper towel-lined rack to drain. Season lightly with salt.
For the tacos:
Finely shred cabbage. Place tortillas in a 250°F oven for a few minutes to soften and warm.
Place juice of one lime, the tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapenos, and salt in bowl and mix.
Place warm tortilla on a plate and fill it with the CAULILINI® baby cauliflower tempura, tomato mixture, avocado slices and marinated cabbage.
Serve with creamy hot sauce and a slice of fresh lime.
By Kari Bernardi, Super Natural Chef | Member, Mann’s Chef Panel
Serving Size: 539g | Servings: 8
Amount Per Serving
Calories 620׀ Total Fat 34g (sat 4.5g trans 0g) ׀ Cholesterol 0mg ׀ Sodium 410mg ׀ Total Carbohydrate 79g ׀ Dietary Fiber 9g ׀ Sugars 10g (Includes 0g Added Sugars) | Protein 10g ׀ Vitamin D 0% ׀ Calcium 10% ׀ Iron 15% ׀ Potassium 20%